venerdì 6 gennaio 2012

heather03.01.2012 Heather Nicholson has been moved to HMP Send.


Heather Nicholson A3158AJ
C1-01
HMP Send
Ripley Road
Send
Surrey
GU23 7LJ

Heather was remanded in May 2007 and sentenced in January 2009 to 11 years for conspiracy to blackmail in connection with the SHAC campaign.

Birthday: 30th January

What you can send: Cheques/postal orders made out to ‘HM Prison Service’, Write Heather’s name and number on the back. Stamps & an SAE. NO stationery or blank cards.

Letter from Heather, 6th July 2010

Dear Friends

As I write this, it’s Tuesday night, which is canteen night, so I’m stuffing my face with Plamil chocolate and almonds as I watch ‘Friends’. It’s not a bad life, eh? Ha ha! Well you’ve got to make the most of every day, I believe. There’s no use in being miserable and thinking “Oh I’ll be happy when I’m out in November 2012.” I’m trying to be happy right now and making each day as constructive as possible, too.

My studies are going really well and I have now started my Equine Psychology course, which I absolutely love! If any of you can help me out with any interesting or unusual stories of equine behaviour, I would be most grateful. I love the way this course from ‘The Animal Care College’ writes about horses, eg. “Traditionally, these inherited qualities are known as instincts. Looking at it from a different, less dry perspective, however, we might equally say that they are in fact a form of wisdom – wisdom that they still have and which is right at the core of their being. We really need to consider the horse’s nature in this empathetic manner, rather than simply thinking of his ways as mere “instincts” that we can re-program. Horses are wise.” Isn’t that wonderful? It’s heartening how attitudes change over time. About time too!

Talking of horses, I recently read my Great Grandfather’s autobiography and this is what he wrote about the pit ponies he saw when he worked down the coal mines in South Wales:-

“After about ten minutes here’s the horses being led into the pit mouth and sent on down, they walked past quite unconcerned and down into the dark and the hauliers following them shouting their horses’ names now and again. I got to know them all by their names later and they were worth knowing too, they had more sense than a good many men I have met since …”

All of the animals I look after in the sanctuary are very well. My goats, Freckles and Star, now have their summer coats and are looking very sleek and shiny. Whenever they see me coming they start bleating like crazy and leaping about until I go over and give them a fuss. I absolutely adore them. I’m at my happiest when we’re walking in the evening, and I sit in the field with both of them while they graze close by me and climb up the banks to eat the wild flowers. It’s blissful and makes me so happy. There’s a lot of nonsense noise and meaningless chatter that you are bombarded with in prison, and it’s a stark contrast to sit quietly with these delightful, funny, affectionate, goaty friends of mine.

As always, my sincere thanks to all of you who write to me and keep me topped up with money and stamps. Every single one of you is amazing and I feel proud and privileged to know you. It’s sad that such horrific animal cruelty brings us together but you all continue to make my day, every day, and above all else, give me hope.

I continue to get a lot of support from officers and prisoners alike, as well as disbelief and outrage at this ludicrous sentence. People are still amazed at the amount of mail I receive! I continue to be well fed and well treated here and I’m on the way home to freedom, which is a great feeling.

I may be in prison but I wouldn’t swap places with anyone else in the world. I am so glad I am who I am and feel the way I feel. I am a person overflowing with love and compassion and it’s all directed to those most in need. As a prisoner I know I am in very good company, as throughout history many people have been there and fared worse for making a stand against injustice and suffering,and refusing to be intimidated and silenced. Those who fight and expose injustice frequently end up as a casualty of injustice.

Before I go, I’d also like to thank the wonderful Jo-Ann and her team at VPSG, everyone who writes, (and sends stamps, money, etc), all my visitors, my fabulous family, friends, ARPS, and my personal shoppers! Your care and love lifts me whenever I feel down. Thank you.

“In such a world of conflict, a world of victims and executioners, it is the job of thinking people not to be on the side of the executioners.” Albert Camus (Quote courtesy of Debbie and Chris!)

Lots of Love
Heather xxx

Letter from Heather, 24th October 2009

Hi,

Thanks as always to all of you out there who continue to support animal rights prisoners. I have been in prison now for over 2½ years and the support has been overwhelming. My post is usually waiting for me on my bed when I get back from work at about 4.45pm. The feeling I get when I see all those letters hasn’t changed since day one. You are all wonderful. You keep my spirits up and keep me well stocked with stamps, money, blank cards and books. Thank you so much. VPSG continue to do a great job sorting out our vegan food and toiletries. Many thanks to you all.

I have started a job in the gardens now at long last and all thanks to my wonderful solicitors. I am so happy working in the organic vegetable gardens and the glasshouses. It’s like being in a different world when I’m in the gardens and I can almost forget I am in prison at times. When I’m digging outside a little robin follows me around singing away so beautifully.

I read a book by Chris Packham where he said that robins venture closer to humans in Britain than they do anywhere else in Europe! The gardens are very wildlife friendly and many plants are grown specifically to provide food for the wild birds and other wild animals.

I’ve been spending a lot of time with the goats in the sanctuary. They are two little pygmy goats called Star and Freckles. I asked if I could go in the paddock with them and was warned that they might butt me ! I wouldn’t have minded if they had of course, but they didn’t. I sat down with them and gave them a little scratch on their necks and a back massage! They loved it and I’m quite sure they see me as their big servant coming in to wait on them hand and foot! That’s fine by me. I’m hoping to get a full time job in the sanctuary soon. If I can make those animals’ lives as good as they can be it will feel worthwhile being here.

I have finished my Diploma in Animal Health and will be starting one in Animal Care soon. After that I will hopefully be studying Equine Psychology. It’s like being at my own personal University.

Thanks to all of you who have sponsored us for the SAY appeal for Greek Animal Rescue – Vesna (GAR) sent me some recent photos of Pluto. Just a few months ago he was little more than a skeleton covered in cuts and sores with sadness and despair written all over his face. Now he is the picture of happiness and health. All thanks to Vesna and others who work so hard but also to YOU. It’s your sponsorship money that enabled them to bring him back to health from the brink of death. I just can’t put into words how grateful I am and how happy those pictures of Pluto made me. I know you’ll all understand. Greek dogs are always looking for homes and also if you can offer a home or spread the news about dogs on death row in pounds in the U.K. please look at www.dogwatchuk.org

My utmost love and respect to all of you still helping animals in need.

Lots of Love,
Heather xxx

“If you summon your courage to challenge something, you’ll never be left with regret. How sad it is to spend your life wishing, ‘If only I’d had a little more courage.’ Whatever the outcome may be, the important thing is to step forward on the path you believe is right.” Daisaku Ikeda.

Letter from Heather, 16th August 2009

Dear friends

Hi everyone! I feel constantly overwhelmed, amazed and grateful for all the love and support I have had from you all over the last 2 years. The letters have never waned and you have made all the difference to my time in prison so far.

It was a shock to be moved so abruptly to HMP Foston Hall but it is very nice here. I miss Natasha, Sarah and Nicole like crazy of course, but I’m fine. I get on with people no matter where I go. As always there is a lot of support and admiration from officers and prisoners alike.

The food here is very good, tonight I had strawberries, raspberries and Alpro soya yogurt for dessert. It was delicious. They gave me vegan pizza this week too which was heavenly.

Every weekend we can go outside and run – I don’t mean down the A50! We run around the playing fields which is bliss for me! I get to run past the wildflower meadows which are swarming with butterflies.

There is a brilliant animal sanctuary here too. The animals are all rescued and very well looked after. I’m hoping to get a job there eventually. In the meantime I’ve been allocated a job in textiles (sewing etc). To start with I hated it but I’m starting to get into it now. I can do pleats, ruching, gathering, zips, piping etc. Shortly I will progress to making myself a cushion and then clothes. I’m a seamstress, I’m the new Coco Chanel!

The education department here is especially good and the staff there are very helpful. I have passed Unit 1 of my Animal Health Diploma with flying colours. As soon as I’ve finished it I shall start another one in Equine Psychology. I am also studying Art, Business Finance and IT. I try to treat prison as a cross between a retreat and a University.

As usual VPSG has been outstanding and has sorted out my vegan food, toiletries and cleaning products. Lots of people have been asking me about veganism and now they are checking the labels on everything and have said they don’t want to buy anything tested on animals again after speaking to me. They always bring the subject up, ask me the questions, I answer them and they come to their own conclusions and make their own minds up. It’s very heartening to see that people do care when they know the truth.

Well, I’m almost halfway through my time in prison and it’s not been bad at all, quite an experience actually. I read a book by Alice Walker recently and, although I don’t have it to quote her exactly, she said that it seems those on the front-line pushing for change and speaking out forcefully and without fear always end up dead or in prison. Therefore I see myself as extremely fortunate! If I ever feel down or sorry for myself in the slightest all I have to do is think of just 3 seconds of footage from HLS and all those feelings evaporate to nothing.

Thank you all from the bottom of my heart for everything you do, lots and lots of love

Heather xxx

http://www.arprisoners.org/heather-nicholson/

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento