martedì 3 gennaio 2012

(en/es)-Thoughts on Liberation: Exclusive Interview with Victor & Kellie


Interview with Kellie

What is your favorite food ever?
Kellie: I'd have to say my favorite food would be the delicious food our wonderful friends at The Vegan Yacht make. The Leftovers Sandwich in particular - warm field roast, tomato, lettuce, and cranberry sauce on olive ciabatta bread. So good!

What turned you vegan?
Kellie: I went vegan three years ago after being a vegetarian for a long time. There was nothing out of the ordinary that made me go vegan, it just felt right. I felt it was something I was supposed to do. I never transitioned into it, I did it as soon as I decided. After that I got curious about it and realized the horrors of the dairy and egg industry. I will never stop being vegan, it's much more than a dietary choice to me, it's a way of life and a call to action.

How did you get into activism?
Kellie: I got active in animal rights a year or so after going vegan. I would watch lectures and read various literature on the subject of animal rights and ethics. My principles became more clearly defined. I realized how important it was to make people aware of animal suffering because the animals couldn't do it themselves.

What was your experience with the vegan food in the Iowa jail?
Kellie: It wasn't hard to get vegan food in jail, it just took them a bit to get it correct. I doubt anyone working there has ever heard the word vegan. I went a few days without eating because of this but I was not denied vegan food once I got a chance to explain. I even got soy milk with breakfast! They had me write a list of food that I don't eat. I knew they paid attention to it because I questioned a flour tortilla they gave me and when the C.O. came back from double checking the ingredients he said "there's nothing in there that's on the list".

Any advice for other activists who might face being locked in jail with no vegan options?
Kellie: The only advice we can offer to those who are denied vegan food would be to wait it out.You can always trade food with other inmates.Or do a hunger strike. Just make sure your supporters know. Have them call the jail. Communicate with the C.O.'s the best you can. Stay strong and stick to your values, you can go many days without food as long as you have water.

What do you do to occupy your time while you are awaiting trial in Iowa?
Kellie: While awaiting trial I have been reading a lot. My favorite book I've read so far is Watership Down by Richard Adams. We visit the library frequently. We play rummy or walk around the city. We got some "why vegan?" pamphlets from Vegan Outreach so we could be somewhat active while we are here.

How is your family handling the situation?
Kellie: My family is handling it quite well. They miss me and, of course, they don't want me or Victor to go to prison. They know that we are good people with good intentions. I think this whole situation has helped them to understand me and my values a little better. The only thing they are angry about is that what we allegedly did is being treated as such a serious crime. Our family in Austin ( Kathryn, Cory, Danielle, and Mike) are just waiting for us to come home. They have given us an incredible amount of support and love and have helped get our personal affairs in order. They are absolutely the best friends you could ever hope for.


Interview with Victor

What is your favorite food ever?
Victor: Should I be ashamed to admit that there is a fat kid living inside my tubby man body? After about one week in jail, it became apparent that my favorite food is... food. I would catch myself fantasizing about sandwiches and burritos a little too often. Satisfying my palette is a vice i should probably get under control. I think as a movement, we need to shift our focus from what we eat to who we don't eat.


What turned you vegan?
Victor: Well, when i turned 13 my immediate family moved in with my maternal grandparents. I lived on a small farm for a few years. I can't recall whether or not my flesh-heavy diet bothered me, despite the fact that i knew first hand where it came from. I was probably more concerned with earning the approval of the older men in my family than having any rational thoughts. When i got a little older i got involved with the punk and hardcore scene and this is where the vegan message first made its way to my ears. At the time I was pretty stubborn and the rhetoric wasn't well received. When i turned 18, I dropped out of college for my first piercing job where I had the pleasure of working alongside a rad vegan tattooer. Anyone who has ever came in contact with Thomas Kenney knows he is the kindest, most generous person you'll meet. Being seven or eight years younger than him, I naturally began to emulate aspects of his personality. I stopped eating meat, and went completely vegan a little over a year later. Though I regret it taking so long, its a little reassuring to think that the hundreds of people who haven't been receptive to my vegan outreaching may come around to it once they hear it again from somebody else.

How did you get into activism?
Victor: I think this happened in the summer of 2008... My friend Shane and i were doing yard work for an elderly lady in town who, at the end of the day, asked us to drown all the groundhogs that were caught in the traps around the property. Only one little guy had the misfortune of being caught that day. His snout was gnarled and bloody from repeatedly slamming against what was once the entrance to the trap. It didn't take any rationalizing to just let him run back to his home; It was just the obvious thing to do. At the time, I didn't think of the act as any sort of "activsm", but it did aid the natural progression of the way I thought. Being vegan became less about what I wasn't doing and more about what I was doing.

What was your experience with the vegan food in the Iowa jail?
Victor: Getting vegan food in jail was pretty simple. When you first get booked, the booking officer runs through about 200 questions in 2 minutes. One of them pertains to special dietary needs. Easy enough. Now the food wasn't of any quality, not that i expected that, but it was vegan. I hear state prison is much nicer... so I suppose that's something to look forward to.

What do you do to occupy your time while you are awaiting trial in Iowa?
Victor: Really just dealing with being stuck in Iowa. Four of our closest friends made there way up here for some festive feasting. Kellie and I got married. Lately we've been trying to enjoy the cold weather, walking around the city, volunteering at the humane society, spending time at the library, and trying to find jobs.

How is your family handling the situation?
Victor: My mom had been really supportive. She's helped us more that I could have ever expected.


What would you guys like to say to your supporters out there?
Victor: First of all, we want to attempt to express how thankful we are for everything. The letters we received in jail, donations, and positive thoughts will be paid forward and back as soon as we get the chance. The financial burden from this ordeal wouldn't be tolerable if it weren't for your help. That being said, lets make sure we don't lose focus. The American fur industry is going to steal the lives of 3 or 4 million animals in 2012 unless we do something. Mink don't care about your next vegan potluck. Fox yearn for freedom while we swap recipes and eat cupcakes. If we really believe that "fur is murder", then we should scream it at the top of our lungs.

http://supportkellieandvictor.blogspot.com/2011/12/exclusive-interview-with-victor-kellie.html


http://supportkellieandvictor.blogspot.com/



Entrevista a Kellie y Victor, activistas estadounidenses acusados de intentar liberar visones.

"A los visones no les importa cual es nuestra receta vegana favorita"


1-¿Qué os hizo plantearos la opción del veganismo?
Kellie: Me hice vegana hace tres años, después de haber sido vegetariana durante mucho tiempo. No hubo nada extraordinario que me llevase a tomar esa decisión, simplemente pensaba que era lo correcto. Sentía que era algo que debía hacer. No hice una transición hasta ser vegana, comencé a alimentarme de esa manera justo después de tomar la decisión. Tras ello, comencé a investigar y descubrí los horrores de la industria de los huevos y la leche. Nunca dejaré de ser vegana, para mí es mucho más que una opción dietética, es una forma de vida y una llamada a la acción.

Victor: Bueno, cuando cumplí 13 años mis familiares más cercanos se mudaron con mis abuelos por parte de madre. Viví en una pequeña granja durante unos pocos años. No sé por qué la dieta que llevaba entonces, fuertemente basada en la carne, no me desagradaba, teniendo en cuenta que conocía de primera mano de donde procedía aquella carne. Probablemente estaba más preocupado por sentirme aceptado por mis familiares más mayores que por pensar racionalmente. Cuando crecí un poco me involucré en la escena punk y hardcore, y ahí fue donde oí por primera vez acerca del veganismo, aunque en aquel momento no hice mucho caso. Cuando cumplí 18 dejé el colegio y me dediqué a hacer piercings. En mi primer empleo tuve el placer de trabajar con un tatuador vegano. Cualquiera que conozca a Thomas Kenney sabrá que es la persona más amable y generosa que puedes encontrar. Yo era siete u ocho años más joven que él, por lo que empecé a imitar aspectos de su personalidad. Dejé de comer carne, y menos de un año más tarde ya era totalmente vegano.

2- ¿Cómo comenzasteis vuestro activismo por los animales?
Kellie: Comencé a realizar actividades relacionadas con los derechos de los animales un año después de hacerme vegana. Asistía a charlas y leía un montón de libros sobre derechos de los animales y ética. Mis principios comenzaban a estar más definidos. Me di cuenta de lo importante que era mostrarle a la gente el sufrimiento animal porque los animales no podían hacerlo por ellos mismos.

Victor: Creo que fue en el verano de 2008… Mi amigo Shane y yo trabajábamos como jardineros de una señora mayor que, al terminar nuestra jornada, nos pidió que ahogásemos a las marmotas que habían caído en las trampas que había puestas por todo el jardín. Solo uno de aquellos pequeños animalillos había caído en una trampa aquel día. Estaba ensangrentado, a consecuencia de haber intentado escapar de aquella trampa. No me hizo falta pensármelo dos veces y dejé que aquel animal corriese libre para volver a su hogar, me parecía lo más obvio. En aquel momento no consideré aquel acto como una forma de “activismo”, pero ayudó a la progresión natural del modo en que yo pensaba. Ser vegano ya no tenía relación con lo que no hacía, si no con lo que hacía.

3- ¿Cómo fue vuestra experiencia con la alimentación vegana en la cárcel de Iowa?
Kellie: No fue difícil conseguir comida vegana en la cárcel, solo les llevó algo de tiempo aprender a hacerla bien. Dudo que nadie de los que trabajaban allí hubiesen oído antes la palabra “vegano”. Estuve unos días sin comer debido a este problema, pero no se me denegó la alimentación vegana una vez que pude explicar de qué iba todo aquello. Incluso me daban leche de soja con el desayuno. Hicieron que escribiese una lista de productos que no comía. Sé que prestaron atención a aquella lista, porque en alguna ocasión pregunté por los ingredientes de algunos alimentos que me daban y me decían “tranquila, no lleva nada que estuviese en la lista”.

Victor: Conseguir comida vegana en prisión fue muy fácil. Cuando te hacen la ficha, el carcelero te hace unas 200 preguntas en 2 minutos. Una de ellas es sobre necesidades dietéticas especiales. Tan sencillo como eso. Ahora, la comida era malísima, tampoco es que esperase gran cosa, pero al menos era vegana. Me han dicho que la de las prisiones estatales es bastante mejor…

4- ¿Algún consejo para otros activistas que puedan enfrentarse a prisiones en las que no haya opciones veganas en el menú?
Kellie: El único consejo que podemos darles a aquellos a quienes se les ha denegado la alimentación vegana es la paciencia. Siempre puedes intercambiar comida con otros presos. O realizar una huelga de hambre. Si lo hacen, es importante que su grupo de apoyo lo sepa, así podrán llamar a la prisión y hacer presión. Tratad de comunicaros lo mejor posible con los carceleros. Manteneos fuertes y firmes en vuestros principios, podéis aguantar varios días sin comer siempre y cuando tengáis agua.

5- ¿En qué ocupáis vuestro tiempo mientras esperáis el juicio en Iowa?
Kellie: Yo estoy leyendo muchísimo. De los libros que he leído hasta ahora, mi favorito es Watership Down, de Richard Adams. Visitamos la biblioteca frecuentemente. Jugamos a las cartas o paseamos por la ciudad. Conseguimos algunos panfletos sobre veganismo en Vegan Outreach, así que también nos mantenemos activos mientras estamos aquí.

Victor: La verdad es que la mayoría del tiempo tratamos de sobrellevar el estar “atrapados” en Iowa. Cuatro de nuestros mejores amigos vinieron hasta aquí para pasar algún tiempo con nosotros. Kellie y yo nos casamos. Y últimamente hemos intentado disfrutar del clima frío que hace ahora, caminando por la ciudad, realizando actividades como voluntarios y pasando tiempo en la biblioteca. También intentamos conseguir trabajos.

6- ¿Cómo lleva esta situación vuestra familia?
Kellie: Mi familia lo está llevando bastante bien. Me echan de menos y, por supuesto, no quieren que vayamos a la cárcel. Saben que somos buenas personas con buenas intenciones. Creo que esta situación les ha ayudado a comprender mis principios un poquito mejor. Por lo único por lo que están enfadados es por que se considere un delito tan grave lo que, presuntamente, tratamos de hacer. Nuestra familia en Austin solo esperan que volvamos a casa. Nos han dado un montón de apoyo y amor y nos han ayudado a poner en orden nuestros asuntos personales. Sin duda son los mejores amigos que podríamos desear.

Victor: Mi madre nos ha ayudado muchísimo. Nos ha apoyado más de lo que nunca habría imaginado.

7- ¿Os gustaría decir algo a la gente que os está apoyando?
Victor: Lo primero de todo, queremos intentar expresar lo inmensamente agradecidos que les estamos por todo. Las cartas que recibimos en la cárcel, las donaciones, y todos esos pensamientos positivos serán recompensados tan pronto como podamos. Los gastos derivados de este proceso serían impensables para nosotros de no haber sido por vuestra ayuda.

Dicho esto, intentemos mantener la atención en lo realmente importante. La industria peletera americana matará a 3 ó 4 millones de animales en 2012 si no hacemos algo. A los visones no les importa cual es nuestra receta vegana favorita. Los zorros gritan mientras nosotros compartimos recetas y comemos tartas. Si realmente pensamos que “piel es asesinato”, entonces debemos de gritarlo tan fuerte como nos permitan nuestros pulmones.

Para visitar la página del grupo de apoyo a Kellie y Victor pincha aquí.
http://supportkellieandvictor.blogspot.com/


http://www.lacizallaacrata.nuevaradio.org/index.php?p=421

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento